Second Annual University of Houston Ethics and Compliance Symposium
Location: University of Houston Law Center, 100 Law Center, Houston, TX 77204
Date: Thursday, June 6, 2013
This year’s Ethics and Compliance Symposium will build on the success of last year’s inaugural conference, which was featured in The Wall Street Journal.
Keeping an organization in compliance with the ever-changing regulatory landscape can be a massive undertaking. This one-day conference will provide attendees with practical advice for and real-world examples of the issues that ethics and compliance officers face today.
The conference will begin with an explanation of political risk forecasting using various data points from author and social scientist Dr. Philip Tetlock. Dr. Tetlock’s framework will help companies understand how to accurately utilize external and internal data to create a risk-based compliance program.
The conference will also include sessions discussing privacy, hospitality, using technology in compliance programs, global compliance challenges, and joint venture issues, as well as a Latin American-focused panel with speakers from government-controlled companies. Additionally, Morgan Lewis will present code-of-conduct benchmarking data from Fortune 500 companies in the form of interactive polling questions that will highlight changes from 2011-2012 codes of conduct, including which companies have changes facilitation payment, social media, and trade control policies.
The conference will feature a faculty of in-house compliance lawyers from industries ranging from retail to energy as well as the following speakers:
- George J. Terwilliger, III, Co-Chair of Morgan Lewis’s White Collar Litigation & Government Investigations Practice and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General, Acting Attorney General, and federal prosecutor
- Lauren Stevens, former GlaxoSmithKline in-house lawyer who was accused of obstruction of justice by the DOJ but vindicated at trial when the judge threw out the government’s case
- Dr. Philip Tetlock, Leonore Annenberg University Professor in the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Arts and Sciences (Psychology) and Wharton School (Management)
Registration is $595. Scroll down to view the full agenda.
Check out this article, Many Companies Silent on IP Protection as Cyber Threat Emerges, which show
cases a database one of the symposium’s speakers, Ryan McConnell, has created that categorizes publicly traded companies codes of conduct.
Also, check out this article, Forecasting Fox, about Dr. Philip Tetlock and his forecasting models that are extremely good at predicting results. This article, The Fox-y Science of Risk-Based Compliance Forecasting, also discusses Dr. Philip Tetlock.
9:00 a.m. Intro
- Richard Alderman, Interim Dean Director, Consumer Law Center, University of Houston
- Ryan McConnell, Partner, Morgan Lewis
9:10 a.m. Kickoff
- George Terwilliger, III, Former Deputy Attorney General and co-chair of White Collar Litigation and Government Investigations Practice, Morgan Lewis
9:30 a.m. Analyzing Empirical Data: Historical Lessons & Current Trends
- Dr. Phil Tetlock, author of Expert Political Judgement: How Good Is It and How Can We Know?, University of Pennsylvania
10:10 a.m. Latin American Compliance Focus
- Moderator, Alberto Orozco, Director, PwC
- Luiz Cláudio Schlender Sampaio de Almeida, Coordinator of Transparency in the Petrobras Ombudsman Office, Petrobras
- Carlos Cortes-Simon, Executive Director of the Chilean Association of Natural Gas Distributors, AGN
- Frederick Ratliff, Senior Counsel, Anti-corruption, Shell Oil Co.
11:10 a.m. Government Investigations
- Moderator, Dianne Ralston, Deputy General Counsel, Schlumberger Ltd.
- Brady Long, Vice President & General Counsel, Ensco
- Sherry Williams, Senior Vice President, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer, Halliburton
- Jay Martin, Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer & Senior Deputy General Counsel
12:20 p.m. Keynote
- Lauren Stevens, Former Vice President and Associate General Counsel, GlaxoSmithKline PLC
1:00 p.m. Compliance Challenges
- Moderator, Erica Salmon Byrne, Executive Vice President, Compliance & Governance Solutions, Corpedia, an NYSE Euronext Company
- Andy Hinton, Vice President, Global Ethics and Compliance, Google
- Vanessa P. Rossi, Senior Director, Compliance & Enterprise Risk Management, Sysco Corporation
- Shane Kimzey, Deputy Chief Legal Officer, Chief Compliance Officer, CEVA Logistics
2:00 p.m. Privacy, Data Security, and Theft of Trade Secrets
- Moderator, Eric Morehead, Senior Compliance Counsel, Corpedia, an NYSE Euronext Company
- Gregory Parks, Partner, Morgan Lewis
- S. Mark Mcintrye, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Senior Litigation Counsel, U.S. Department of Justice
- Tim McInturf, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, QuantLab
3:10 p.m. Third Party Risks: Nuts and Bolts of Agent and Business Partner Due Diligence
- Moderator, Karyl Van Tassell, Partner, PWC
- David Searle, Audits and Investigations Counsel, Baker Hughes
- Brett Schrader, Deputy General Counsel, Quanta Services, Inc
- Marie Wagner, Senior Compliance Counsel, Anadarko Petroleum Corp
4:10 p.m. Gifts and Hospitality
- Moderator, Jami McKeon, Partner, Morgan Lewis
- Sue Kean, Vice President, Deputy General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, McDermott International Inc.
- Margaret Mousoudakis, Senior Compliance Counsel, LyondellBasell
- Kevin McDonald, Chief Compliance Counsel, Marathon Oil
5:00 p.m. Closing
- Eric Morehead, Senior Compliance Counsel, Corpedia, an NYSE Euronext Company
Click here to request the recording and supporting materials from this webinar.